This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Mine was fantastic. I got to cook, decorate, and be with family – what could be better!
The Healthy Butternut Squash Soup is a way to decompress from the rich foods of the holidays. This tasty recipe is full of nutrition such as fiber, vitamin C, manganese, magnesium, Potassium along with an excellent source of vitamin A, E. These benefits are due to our friend the butternut squash.
An additional attribute to the Healthy Butternut Squash Soup is how easy it is to customize. The soup has a natural sweet flavor that I feel is well complemented by homemade croutons and feta cheese. The added cheese provides a salty contrast and protein.
I don’t know about you but my mouth is watering. Let’s start the process!
Cut the top and bottom off the butternut squash with a sharp knife. FYI, butternut squashes are quite difficult to cut especially in there naturally round state. Cutting the bottom and top off will allow you to safely slice the squash down the middle in the next step.
Stand the squash on the now flat end and slice down the middle. Again, be very careful if you have never cut squash before. It will give you more resistance than you might think.
As you can see I am removing the pulp in the bulb the squash. I specifically took the picture of me holding the spoon as show as I found it to be the easiest way.
The hard part is done. Let’s put some olive oil on this vegetable.
Give it some flavor by seasoning it with salt and pepper and place in the oven
Chop your onions and celery and place in stockpot (16qt pot)
In the stockpot cook with olive oil, salt, and pepper until lightly golden. Add vegetable broth and water, bring to a boil. Add lid to pot and turn down the heat. Let simmer for 15 mins. After 15 min. remove from heat and let cool.
After squash is fully cooked, let it cool for 15min (so you don’t burn your hands). Scrape out the meat of the squash and place in the stockpot with onions, celery, vegetable broth, and water. Make sure to stir.
Once the blending is done pour the soup back in your stockpot and add the milk along with more salt to taste (Quick Tip: I’ve learned to add less salt rather than more as you can always put more in but you can’t take it out)
Garnish Homemade Croutons or with a topping of your choice and serve.
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Celery Stocks
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 one quart Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- Feta Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cut off Ends of Butternut Squash
- Slice Butternut Squash Length-Wise in Half
- Add 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil to each Half of the Squash
- Season With Salt and Pepper
- Bake in Oven for 35 - 45min or Until Tender
- Dice Onion and Celery
- Warm 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil in a StockPot
- Add Onions and Celery and Cook Until Golden Brown, Season with Salt and Pepper
- Add Vegetable Broth and Water, Bring to a Boil
- Once Boiling, Place Lid on Pot, Reduce Heat and Simmer for 15 min.
- Remove Squash from Oven and Let Cool
- Scrape Squash Meat from Peel and Add to StockPot
- Place in Blender and Puree
- From Blender, Pour Back in Stockpot and Add Milk and Season with Salt to Taste
- Add Optional Garnish if Desired