Features of the Irish Soda Bread
- Cooking Skill level: Easy
- Baking time: 40 Minutes
- Taste Impression: A moist, Fresh flavor.
Just in time for St Patrick’s Day. This bread is easy to make, just follow along with my step-by-step pictures. I like to make the Irish Soda Bread with my chicken stew recipe.
Supply Used in the: Irish Soda Bread
Pre-heat oven to 375°. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Add the flour, baking soda, salt, herbs and sugar in a medium size bowl. Blend well with a whisk.
Incorporate butter with two butter knives. a food processor would work also.
In the flour, cut the butter into fine crumbles.
Combine buttermilk into the flour mix
Beat one egg.
Cover your working area with flour. Add more flour to the top of the dough. Knead the dough a few times
Form the dough into a round ball. Flatten the top of the dough with your hand.
With a flour covered knife, slice a cross in the bread (the dough will still be sticky and the flour on the knife will allow you to cut rather than tear.). According to Irish tradition, these cuts are to let the fairies out.
Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The Irish soda bread will be done when it is golden brown.
Server warm bread with butter. I hope you all have a Happy St. Patrick’s day. May the luck of the Irish be with you 🙂
- 4 Cups all-purpose flour ( plus extra for rolling out the dough. About a cup.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoon cold butter
- 1¾ cup cold buttermilk shaken
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 Tablespoon thyme, rosemary, chives
- Pre-heat oven to 375°
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, herbs, and sugar in a medium size bowl. Blend well with a whisk.
- With two knives cut the butter into the flour mix Blend until fine crumbs
- Add the egg and buttermilk. Mix until well blended.
- Place flour on working board
- Add more flour to the top of the dough. Knead the dough a few times.
- Flour hands and shape into a round.
- With a floured knife add a cross to the bread. (This will let the fairies out )
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40. The bread will be done when it is golden brown.