Features of the Spinach Feta Spanakopita Triangles
- Cooking Skill level: Intermediate
- Baking time: 18 Minutes
- Taste Impression: Buttery, Flaky. The perfect blend of spinach and feta cheese!
- “Noelle’s Tasty Tips” How get that extra hint of flavor.
I have always been a big fan of spanakopita. An evening out at a greek restaurant wouldn’t be very greek without a serving of this delicious feta bound treat. So, in order to get my fill, I knew I needed to be able to make my own. I offer to you my Spinach Feta Spanakopita Triangle recipe. A yummy butter flaky delicious appetizer that is sure to impress your guests or family.
In a medium saucepan add water and frozen spinach. Cook for 5 minutes.
For this post, I have One Tasty Tip
- Drain the spinach well. (make sure to squeeze out as much liquid. This keeps the phyllo dough from getting soggy.)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. (really adds that extra seasoning.)
- Mix salt and spinach well.
This is a simple tip, but it makes all the difference.
Place butter in your pan and saute the chopped onions till golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
Add the spinach, feta, onions, garlic, oregano, and mix well
Melt the butter for the phyllo dough and have a slightly damp kitchen towel ready to cover your unused dough (make sure your damp cloth is not too wet as it will destroy the dough and be unusable). I use a big pastry board to lay my phyllo dough out on.
Remove one sheet of phyllo dough and add melted butter. I used a spatula, but a kitchen brush will work just as well. Place the next sheet of dough on top and butter the same. Repeat the process one more time with the next sheet. I have a heavy hand when adding butter (I really like that butter taste). For less butter, you can just use a lighter hand but, make sure to concentrate on the edges of the phyllo dough.
Place Spinach Feta Spanakopita Triangles on parchment paper and bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Makes approximately 16 individual squares.
Oh boy, those are looking good! Make sure you let them cool for just a couple minutes before serving.
- 1 box Phyllo Dough
- 16oz bag chopped frozen Spinach
- 1 cup Water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- ½cup chopped Onion
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 cup Feta Cheese
- ½ cup melted Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375°
- Making the Filling
- Add water to medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Place Spinach in pan, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes
- In a different pan add 2 teaspoons of butter
- Cook chopped onion and season with salt until golden brown
- Strain water from spinach and add ½ teaspoon of salt
- Add spinach, onion, oregano, and crumbled feta cheese together, mix well
- Lay out a single sheet of phyllo dough
- Brush with butter
- Stack your next sheet on top and apply butter once again
- Repeat one more time
- Slice phyllo sheets into eight strips
- Place 1 Tablespoon of filling on the end of the strip
- Fold strip and filling into triangular strip
- Lightly brush tops with butter
- Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown
- Makes approximately 16